Community Based Dental Program Grant Opportunity
Request for Proposal
Kansas Bureau of Oral Health Community Based Prevention Program Grants
Application Due Date: June 29, 2012
Summary: The Bureau of Oral Health is soliciting proposals from dental professionals and other entities interested in receiving funding grants to provide preventive oral health services in Kansas community based settings using dental hygienists that have Extended Care Permits. These grants are funded through the Bureau’s DHHS Health Resources and Services Administration Grant to the States to Support Oral Health Workforce Activities (CFDA No. 93.236). The maximum amount for any one award is $10,000, and applications for smaller amounts will be welcomed. Funding will be awarded through a competitive grant application process administered through the Dental Workforce Cabinet, a work group of Oral Health Kansas and the Bureau of Oral Health.
- All entities (individuals, non-profits, schools, long term care facilities, etc.) are welcome to apply. Applicants associated with the Dental Workforce Cabinet are eligible to apply, but will not be allowed to participate in the grant awarding process.
- All proposals must utilize Kansas licensed Registered Dental Hygienists with Extended Care Permits to provide preventive oral health services and education to dentally underserved Kansans.
- Funding is to be used for dental outreach programs in community based settings where Extended Care Permits are legally allowed to work (for specific sites, refer to the Kansas Dental Practice Act, KSA 65-1456 available at http://kslegislature.org/li/b2011_12/statute). Funding is not to be used for staff or dental equipment that will primarily be used in hard walled, traditional dental offices or clinics.
- The use of grant funding is flexible, but cannot be utilized to purchase motor vehicles and/or food for human consumption.
- Previous grant awardees are welcome to apply, but new applicants with viable proposals may be preferred in the awarding process.
- This is non-renewable funding that must be spent before August 31, 2013.
Proposal Requirements (Not to Exceed FIVE pages): There is no application form. The applicant should provide an easy to read written narrative that includes these three critical sections:
- Point of Contact Information: Clearly provide a point of contact for the application, including name, email, FAX and telephone number. If the applicant is a non-profit organization, provide information about the organization’s mission and current projects.
- Project Description: Provide a concise summary of the project’s objectives and activities. Be sure to include what underserved population your project will target, and to describe why this population is dentally underserved. Be specific as to what services the Extended Care Permit Hygienists will be providing and where they will be providing it. If staff is already in place to implement the project, provide their names and credentials. If not, explain how you have the capacity to implement this project. Include any partnerships that may assist you. Explain how the project will be sustained after the grant money has been spent.
- Project Budget: Include a detailed budget with line items that clearly demonstrate how the funding will be spent. If dental equipment is to be purchased, itemize the type of equipment with approximate cost. Incomplete or unclear budgets will adversely affect the success of your application.
Submit the application to the Bureau of Oral Health by 5 p.m. on June 29, 2012. Late Applications will NOT be accepted. Applications can be submitted electronically to Kweno@kdheks.gov or mailed to: ECP Grant Program, Kansas Bureau of Oral Health, 1000 SW Jackson, Suite 200, Topeka KS 66049.
Questions should be directed to Dr. Weno at the Kansas Bureau of Oral Health, 785-296-5116.